OPEN Job Posting (Deadline to apply is February 28, 2020)
Chief Operating Officer
Exempt, Full Time
Founded in 2005, the Notah Begay III (NB3) Foundation’s mission is to ensure Native American children achieve their full potential by advancing cultures of Native American community health. NB3 Foundation focuses on Native children’s physical, mental, emotional and cultural health through four priority areas:
- Healthy Nutrition;
- Physical Activity;
- Cultural Connections; and
- Youth Development.
To date, NB3 Foundation has invested more than $10 million into Native communities, including 127 grants to over 80 Native-led and tribal organization in over a dozen states. NB3 Foundation has also invested millions in direct programming, including nutrition education, food access pilot projects, community and traditional foods projects, sport programming, physical activity/sports camps and clinics, technical assistance to tribal communities and nonprofits and research and evaluation work. NB3 Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a Native American Preference Hiring Policy. For more information visit: www.nb3foundation.org
Reporting to NB3 Foundation’s President and CEO, the Chief Operating Officer (COO) is responsible for overseeing and managing the internal affairs of the organization; applying project management skills and techniques in developing new programs, overseeing and managing existing programs and initiatives, providing project management coaching to staff and supporting fundraising for the organization. Fundamentally, the COO manages day-to-day operations of the organization, grows NB3 Foundation programs, ensures the quality of all NB3 Foundation work, and ensures the staff and organization attain their goals. This daily attention requires a site presence; remote reporting or telecommunicating will not be considered. The ideal candidate will have an entrepreneurial spirit, motivate and inspire staff, have experience managing many facets of an organization during a period of significant growth and share a passion for the mission.
DETAIL OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide cross-departmental direction and leadership for staff management and program development.
- Lead and coach staff on short- and long-term projects using principles of project management: initiating, planning, executing, monitoring, controlling and closing.
- Establish internal structure and processes required to meet objectives and manage day-to-day operations including program management tracking and program evaluation.
- With the President and CEO and staff, develop policy and strategies for all NB3 Foundation initiatives with emphasis on our two signature programs:
- Grantmaking and Evaluation- a national program of grantmaking, evaluation, technical assistance, research, communications and advocacy.
- NB3FIT-a youth development and sports program currently serving Native American and tribal communities in New Mexico.
- Oversee and support all NB3 Foundation events such as Heathy Kids! Healthy Futures! Conference, NB3FIT Week, Healthy Beverage Summit, New Mexico Grand Slam and more.
- Identify opportunities for organizational and programmatic growth.
- Manage and advise NB3 Foundation’s Advancement staff including providing structure for private, public and individual fundraising.
- Play strong role with President and CEO in the oversight of all communications, marketing and development.
- Monitor quality of external and internal communications.
- Manage long-term program milestones and strategic objectives including development of annual goals through a collaborative, staff-based process.
- Establish benchmarks and metrics to evaluate staff and organizational performance.
- Develop annual departmental workplans and activities that support strategic plan and four priority areas.
- Develop and track evaluation mechanisms for feedback and program assessment.
- Work with President and CEO and CFO to establish annual budget and ensure programmatic activity adheres to the budget.
- Create an environment of teamwork, appreciation and recognition.
- Promote a culture of high performance, collaboration, innovation and commitment to community impact.
- Set the example of leading people inclusively through daily communications, interactions and behavior; authentically connect with employees at all levels
- Ensure internal control for subcontracting and NB3 Foundation’s internship program are in place and effective.
- Run internal staff meetings including preparing agendas and troubleshooting internal management issues.
- Support human resources including establishing and determining employee benefits, internal policies, hiring, drafting of job descriptions and performance reviews.
Policy, Fundraising, and Communications
- Assist the President and CEO and Advancement Department in developing campaigns and fundraising strategies to further NB3 Foundation strategic initiatives.
- Integrate NB3 Foundation’s program strategy with community outreach and community organizing methods.
- Develop strategies with NB3 Foundation’s President and CEO to grow NB3 Foundation’s tribal community partnerships.
- Work with the President and CEO to develop outside partnerships to further the NB3 Foundation’s mission.
- Support the President and CEO and Advancement Department in developing policy content, structure and strategies for NB3 Foundation’s conferences and other NB3 Foundation events.
- Support oversight and management of NB3 Foundation’s grant writing and reports.
- Collaborate closely with the Advancement Department to help develop website content, newsletters, social media, collateral material, fundraising materials and report content.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, with at least four years of progressive management experience in nonprofit, private or public sectors, of which four years’ experience is in nonprofit organizations.
- Master’s Degree preferred
- In depth knowledge of Native American culture and tribal community organizations.
- Exceptional project management and people management skills.
- Outstanding writing skills with an ability to write effectively and persuasively in the areas of policy, program execution, fundraising, communications and strategic planning.
- Expertise in community-driven and culturally relevant programs that promote health, physical activity and nutrition, ensuring healthy futures for Native American children and their communities.
- Knowledge of program evaluation and measurement strategies.
- Ability to lead a national campaign to advance Native youth health through capacity building, education, community organizing and research.
- Nonprofit leadership and experience in growing and leading projects and programs for and within nonprofits.
- High level of attention to detail and the ability to see projects through to completion; excellent oral communication skills and public speaking; strong computer skills.
- Sense of humor and ability to work in fast-paced environment, and sensitivity in working with confidential materials.
Salary: $97,000 – $105,000
All staff within Advancement, Grantmaking and Evaluation, NB3FIT, Programming
How to Apply
E-mail resume and a cover letter addressing how you meet the qualifications listed in this posting. Native American candidates should identify themselves in the cover letter. E-mail to Hr@nb3f.org.
Applications accepted through February 28, 2020. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
NB3 Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a Native American Preference Hiring Policy. For more information visit: www.nb3foundation.org
For internship opportunities please contact Monica Stapleton, email@example.com